Home | Things to see and do | History
 

Greyhound FarmhouseBarnsley has evidence of an Iron Age settlement in the park as well as a subsequent Roman Villa. After the Romans, a Saxon village called Bearmodeslea existed on the site. The Domesday book listed the population as 24, and the village was renamed Barndesley in 1197. Later the village became royal property and Henry VIII gave it to each of his wives in turn.

Greyhound Farmhouse is reputed to have originally been built as an inn by Sir Edmund Tame in the late 15th century. A book published in 1803 called "The History of the County of Gloucester" has a passage that states that "The old inn is said to have have been built by Sir Edmond (sic) Tame, for his accommodation, while he was superintending the building of the church at Rendcomb".

Sir Edmund was a local landowner in nearby Fairford and was knighted by King Henry VIII in 1516. As well as Rendcomb, he also worked on the church of St Mary in Barnsley and the church of St Mary in Fairford where he is buried.

It is not known how much of the original design survives, the core of the current house was probably built in the 17th century with the barns being of a similar age. The farmhouse was then probably refronted in the early 18th century.

Greyhound Farmhouse Aerial View
Click to enlarge
Greyhound Farmhouse and the barns were listed on the 4th June 1952 as Grade II by English Heritage (building ID 1089465). In its time we know it has been an inn, a farm, a hotel and a residential home. The original property was split in two at some point during the 20th century, with the land and barns behind the immediate environs of the farmhouse being turned into a separate property.

To the right is an aerial view of the property when it was a working farm and before it was split in two. We think the picture may have been taken in the 1960's or 70's.

Greyhound Farmhouse Aerial View
Click to enlarge
In the mid 1970's part of the interior of the farmhouse was destroyed by a fire.

To the left is a more recent aerial view of the house taken since the split.

Greyhound Farmhouse view of the barn
Click to enlarge
Barn Cottage was only recently renovated. The picture to the right shows it in the 1980's long before it was converted.

The property is rumoured to have originally had an oubliette, a bottle shaped pit dungeon where people were put to be forgotten about. No trace of this has ever been found, although concurrent research indicated the presence of a well which was subsequently found and uncovered.

Greyhound Farmhouse drawing
Click to enlarge
An original sign that hung outside the inn was for years in a museum called Arlington Mill in nearby Bibury. Its current wherabouts are currently inknown, however it could be the sign featured in the undated drawing on the left (we have also used this as our logo at the top of the page!).

We're not sure how old the drawing is, but is shows the current front of the house so was drawn after the refronting in the 18th century. What is interesting is that it shows a row of cottages behind and to the left that are no longer there (now more barns), and to the right is a tall chimney that also no longer exists. This could of course be 'artistic license'.